Acquired in 1836 Commodore Barry Park was known as the City Park at that period of time. Later it got its current name after Commodore Barry in 1951 because of its location next to Brooklyn Navy Yard that was co-founded by John Barry who was a famous figure obtaining a reputation as a skillful sailor.
Navy Yard had a great impact on economic development of the city since its foundation in 1801. Over 70,000 employees worked there. It was also a strategic point during WWII. The venue was sold to New York authorities and transformed into an industrial park.
Now the place is a great destination for a family outdoor weekend. Commodore Barry Park is a perfect spot for recreation and active time spending. Visitors will appreciate a wide range of facilities including baseball fields, handball and basketball courts, outdoor pools, playgrounds.