Tibor de Nagy Gallery played an important role in the promotion of Abstract Expressionists and later Realists. The gallery founder, Tibor de Nagy, was born in Hungary. He studied economy, but kept honing his passion for and knowledge of art. De Nagy spent war years in Hungary and Poland and went to the US after, where he first opened a puppet theater. It was not successful, but it did attract the attention of a number of artists, including Jackson Pollock, who insisted that de Nagy should open his own gallery.
The gallery was opened in 1950 in partnership with John Bernard Myers who served as a director. It was the right time to start in the art business, as American artists and art scene were beginning to gain international recognition. In the 70s Myers left to open his own gallery and to become a private art dealer, de Nagy kept working at the gallery. First, he was doing that during his free time: he had a job in a bank, but after his retirement he was able to devote himself wholly to the gallery.
Today the gallery continues to be one of the best places in New York to see contemporary American artists.